Patient Privacy Statement
GDPR - How your information will be used
- Bewick Crescent Practice use your medical records in different situation:
- For the interest of the public
- Your records are required by law
- The Practice needs to use your records to meet contractual needs
- In the majority of situations, Bewick Crescent Practice will ask your permission (consent) to carry out the above tasks. However, the Practice does not need your consent if:
- The practice feels your medical records are needed for public interest;
- The information we hold about you is needed by law
- If you are unable to give consent and the practice feels using your medical records would be in your best interest, and allow professionals to provide you with healthcare.
- Bewick Crescent Surgery needs to keep and use information about you for normal health care reasons. We will keep and use it to provide health care and manage our relationship with you in the right way. This includes using your information to allow us to meet legal needs, contract needs, or follow the Practices reasonable interests. We may also use your information to protect ourselves in legal matters. If you do not give us this data, we may not be able to meet our needs. We will inform you about the effects of that choice.
- As a Practice, sometimes we may need to use your data to follow our reasonable interests. For example, to stop your information being copied by someone else (fraud), or to help us manage your health care needs. We will never use your information where your interests are greater than our reasonable interests.
- Most of the information we hold has been given to us by you, but some of it may come from other places. Such as, clinical and administrative staff, or other health and social care providers.
- The type of information we hold about you includes your contact details, your medical records; conversations with or about you. For example information from other health and social care places, medications; records of appointments, visits.
- Where we record or use information about your health and social care records, racial or ethnic origin, religion, biometric data or sexual orientation, we will always ask you if this is ok and get you to sign a form, showing us you understand this (explicit consent). The only time we will not do this is if the information is needed by law, if it is in the public interest or if the information is needed to deliver healthcare and you cannot give consent.
- At any time you can ask us to stop using information you have previously given consent to use.
- We may record telephone/mobile conversations.
- We will only release your information to a different business if we have to do so by law, this action is in the interest of the public, or the Practice feels doing this is in the best needs of your healthcare and you are unable to give consent.
- We may also give information about you to other organisations for your healthcare or to meet the needs of Bewick Crescent Practice. For example giving your information to Commissioning bodies, hospital trusts health and social care services.
- Sometimes your information may be used by places in other countries. To make sure everything is done correctly, we have security, safeguarding measures in place. If you want a copy of our Safeguarding policy please ask reception.
- Your information will only be used for as long as we need it the Practice will keep medical records for 10years after a patient’s death, this is in line with the guidance from the British medical Association(BMA).
- In the future if we use your information for a different propose than we previously said, we will inform you for this reason.
- As part of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) you have rights to your information:
- You have the right to ask us to give you access to your information.
- You have the right to control the way we use your information.
- You have the right to stop us using your information.
- If you have allowed us to use your information before (gave consent), you have the right (in some situations) to stop us using your information at any time (withdraw consent).
- You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you think we have not met the needs of GDPR, whilst using your information.
Contact details of controller and data protection officer
Bewick Crescent Practice is the controller and user of your information under GDPR.
If you have any questions on how your information is used you should ask to speak to the Practice manager Steve Lucas. You can also write to:
Bewick Crescent Surgery
27 -29 Bewick Crescent, Newton Aycliffe, Co.Durham, DL5 5LH.
The Data Protection officer for the Practice is:
If you would like to contact the Data Protection Officer, please use the following Email:
Or you can write to the DPO at:
Data Protection officer
South Durham Health Federation
Phoenix Medical Group
Wheatley Hill Surgery
This Privacy statement will be reviewed: 14.3.2021